Now Accepting GSoC 2016 Mentor Organization Applications

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 16:19:47 PST 2016

On 9 February 2016 at 01:09, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> Which leads me to the question:
>
> "do we want to do GSoC 2016?"
>
> I'm not sure. I thought the last two years were overall good experiences.
>
> But they have not brought us long term contributors (Gehad was the closest
> we got and his last commit was from September of last year). The others
> have ALL disappeared. Most of them the moment the final evaluations were
> in.

money is the ruling factor without a doubt.
the knowledge can be obtained from pretty much everywhere nowadays.
while, i can't imagine many 20-25 years old students sticking near a
random open source project just for the fun, fame and experience.

> And if I chart the effort of the mentors and what they could have implemented
> during the time it took them to handle the students... I'm even less convinced
> that this is a net positive.

i can't say that i particularly enjoy mentoring in GSoC, as it may
require a very particular ego for one to enjoy the experience.
if you are considering the funding part as a factor, i'm up for it for
the sake of helping out.

> Finally - what would the projects be this year? Is there anything that people
> have in mind that can be done by a student and that couldn't be done much
> easier by one of the potential mentors?

probably a stack of projects for the mobile UI.
gathering a list of feature requests might open some ideas, even for
the desktop app.

> OK, I guess what I wrote here reads a bit more negative than I feel. I'm open
> to doing it again. But I want to get some feedback from others, ESPECIALLY
> from the potential mentors (Lubomir, Robert, Anton, Miika, Tomaz, etc).

i'm also leaning towards the "net negative", but i will try to join if
more people agree.

lubomir