Now Accepting GSoC 2016 Mentor Organization Applications

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Tue Feb 9 02:37:17 PST 2016

Hi everyone,

> On 09.02.2016, at 00:09, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>
> Which leads me to the question:
>
> "do we want to do GSoC 2016?"
>
> I'm not sure. I thought the last two years were overall good experiences.
>
> But they have not brought us long term contributors (Gehad was the closest
> we got and his last commit was from September of last year). The others
> have ALL disappeared. Most of them the moment the final evaluations were
> in.

I am not sure, either. Also my experience with last year’s round was far from perfect but I guess I learned quite a bit and now I am quite sure I could prevent the same thing from happening again (by being more selective with students at the start and being more clear about goals of the project). So that experience would not make me lean against doing it again this year.

What worries me more that also I essentially disappeared from subsurface development after attending the mentors’ summit. This was partly due to simply lacking the time (as I had a particularly busy semester which just ended) but also because I felt I could not really contribute to what’s going on with the mobile app (due to lack of QML experience combined with lack of time to read up about it but also as I don’t own a functional Android device, I know this could be changed, but I have to admit to being too much of an Apple fanboy by now, so I could only run the mobile version on the desktop, once I figured out how to do that which also took much longer than I expected and the mobile app on the desktop is kindof pointless except for testing).

A possible project I could mentor in the summer would be a mobile version of the planner (if nobody vetos it). That would be a separate app from subsurface-mobile but of course share a lot of code. In the previous days I have secretly started looking into this and by ripping out a lot from the mobile app and instead putting in some code from the planner test I have an app that computes a plan an displays it (so far lacking any interaction to change the plan). But that might be doable.

If we went forward though, I would strongly opt of vetting the students more strictly than before and rather have nobody for a project rather than having somebody only semi-committed.

So, I the question is: Would I be willing to invest time into GSOC this year? My answer would be yes, but only if the student looks really promising.

Best
Robert

                      Scientific Coordinator
                      Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
                      http://www.atdotde.de

Enhance your privacy, use cryptography! My PGP keys have fingerprints
A9D1 A01D 13A5 31FA 6515  BB44 0820 367C 36BC 0C1D    and
DCED 37B6 251C 7861 270D  5613 95C7 9D32 9A8D 9B8F