Now Accepting GSoC 2016 Mentor Organization Applications

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Feb 9 04:48:19 PST 2016

On Tuesday, February 09, 2016 12:17:50 PM Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Robert Helling <helling at atdotde.de> wrote:
>
> A possible project I could mentor in the summer would be a mobile version of
> the planner (if nobody vetos it). That would be a separate app from
> subsurface-mobile but of course share a lot of code.
>
> I would love this!  But why having it as a separate app?

We only have a fighting chance to create an app that feels high-quality if we
reduce complexity. Dirk has said it before, and I'm entirely behind this: dive
planning is not a core feature for the foreseeable future. We need to limit
the featureset to the absolute necessary for quite a while.

I'd much rather have something small, stable and high quality than a swiss
army knife that falls apart the moment you look at it.

There are many areas in subsurface which need improvements, implementing a
dive planner is going to distract from making them work really well.
--
sebas

http://www.kde.org | http://vizZzion.org