Now Accepting GSoC 2016 Mentor Organization Applications

Anton Lundin glance at acc.umu.se
Tue Feb 9 06:28:36 PST 2016

On 08 February, 2016 - Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> Which leads me to the question:
>
> "do we want to do GSoC 2016?"
>
> I'm not sure. I thought the last two years were overall good experiences.
>
> But they have not brought us long term contributors (Gehad was the closest
> we got and his last commit was from September of last year). The others
> have ALL disappeared. Most of them the moment the final evaluations were
> in.
>
> And if I chart the effort of the mentors and what they could have implemented
> during the time it took them to handle the students... I'm even less convinced
> that this is a net positive.
>
> Finally - what would the projects be this year? Is there anything that people
> have in mind that can be done by a student and that couldn't be done much
> easier by one of the potential mentors?

One project i thought of was to fix up our file based importeras for
Seabear and Xdeep, to glue up our file importers with something that can
act as a libdivecomptuter lookalike. Like the Uemisis thingie.

That would streamline the experience for users of those devices, just
being able to say "download" the new things.

I had another idea to, but its currently lost on me. I'll come back if
it ever re-surfaces.

> OK, I guess what I wrote here reads a bit more negative than I feel. I'm open
> to doing it again. But I want to get some feedback from others, ESPECIALLY
> from the potential mentors (Lubomir, Robert, Anton, Miika, Tomaz, etc).

I'm full time "mentor" for my kiddo right now, so between that and
renovating the house there ain't much time over for anything else. I can
gladly cheer from the side line, but I can't promise to be in the game.

//Anton

--
Anton Lundin	+46702-161604