Subsurface-planner [was: Now Accepting GSoC 2016 Mentor Organization Applications]

Henrik Brautaset Aronsen subsurface at henrik.synth.no
Tue Feb 9 10:22:07 PST 2016

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 3:05 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> > > version of
>
> This is open source. No one can veto what you want to do.
>
> > So don't implement the dive planning into the subsurface-mobile just yet
> > but does this really justify the creation of another companion app to
> > perform the dive planning? That'll then be 3 mobile subsurface apps we
> > have, surely better to restrict the number of them and eventually (Even
> if
> > it's a while out) merge the functionality into a single app.
>
> The companion app goes away. Subsurface-mobile replaces that (even though
> that part of the functionality definitely needs a lot more testing). But
> no, this would get us Subsurface-mobile and Subsurface-planner.
>
> And while I would hate to see people spend time on the latter I can't stop
> you. My guess is that Sebastian and I won't be contributing there, so
> you'll be a bit on your own for now, but that's how it goes if you want to
> do something that isn't really useful for the goals of the project (as
> laid out by the humble maintainer).

A separate Subsurface-planner would be nice as well.  Maybe something
simple, with just table based input and output, utilizing the powerful deco
planner core that we have.   Many would appreciate an open source
alternative to expensive and slightly awkward software like Multideco and
Baltic deco planner.

Henrik