mobile: not smooth scrolling from dive-detail to dive-detail

Jan Mulder jlmulder at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 10 06:24:38 PST 2016

As has been noticed by a number of people that are active in the android
mobile development, the scrolling/swiping from dive-detail to
dive-detail is not "smooth". It stops and moves forward at (lets say)
80% of the width of the profile window, and up to now it is unclear if
it is a QML/Qt thing or something in our code.

I noticed something, that I have not heard before. It seems that the
scroll/swipe is very responsive as long a the swipe is active (the
finger stays on the display). At the moment the swipe is ended, the
dive-detail is "snapping into place" at a speeds that is much lower that
the regular swipe by the user. Typically, the user does not swipe from
exact edge of the screen to the opposite side, so only (lets say) 80% of
the device width of covered by the swipe operation.

This is very different from the (vertical) swipe trough the divelist.
There, a short but fast swipe scrolls you a long way through the
divelist. Here, the speed does matter, but when swiping from dive-detail
to dive-detail, the speed does not seem to matter at all. It switches to
a "slow snap in place" speed that confuses the user.

Obviously, I looked in QML docs, and tried some small code changes, but
no visual effect.

best,

--jan