Subsurface-planner [was: Now Accepting GSoC 2016 Mentor Organization Applications]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Feb 10 08:27:40 PST 2016

> On Feb 10, 2016, at 8:12 AM, Joakim Bygdell <j.bygdell at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am NOT INTERESTED in turning Subsurface-mobile into a replacement for
>> the desktop version. So no, I don't want to reimplement all the things that we
>> have in the preferences on the desktop for the mobile device.
> Nor should we but we need to EXTREMELY clear about that in the app description,
> so people understand that this app can not be used standalone.

Here is what the store description starts with:

Subsurface is a free open source dive log application available on Windows, Mac and Linux. Subsurface-mobile allows you to access your dive log on your tablet or phone. Simply create a Cloud Storage account with the Subsurface desktop application, store your dive log in the cloud and then enter the same credentials in Subsurface-mobile.

Now you can access your dive list, see dive details, even modify these details right there on your mobile device. You can also manually add new dives to the dive list.

Feel free to suggest better language for this particular point.

> Currently everything you do with the app is discarded when closing the app since even local storage is
> ignored if no cloud credentials exists.

We simply shouldn't allow the user to add dives unless cloud credentials are entered.
I'll modify the start page - hopefully that will address the concerns