Android issues

Andreas westandreas at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 15:53:44 PST 2016

On Feb 10, 2016 23:29, "Dirk Hohndel" <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> [...]
mentioned in the text and shown in the manual, just have 2 options, cloud
or manually.

>> > As is mentioned in a few places, import from dive computer is NOT
supported in this version.

>> Ok, I've not seen this and it is stated in the text so...
>

> From the Google Play store listing:
> "...Currently Subsurface-mobile does not allow downloading dive data from
dive computers. We are working on adding this for a future version..."

> From my announcement:
> "At this point Subsurface-mobile will be most useful when used together
with the existing Subsurface desktop application. Most notably, downloading
dives from your dive computer is so far not possible from Subsurface-mobile
(but that is on our to-do list for at least some classes of dive
computers)."

>> > The manual is slightly out of sync with the latest version (and I'm in
the process of actually changing the look and flow of that start page quite
a bit to make this more obvious).
>> > Subsurface-mobile really is only useful if used in combination with
the Subsurface desktop application - which is where you can download from
your dive computer

>> Ok, I often only have a tablet with me when I'm off diving so if I can't
import directly into the app it's not as useful for me.

> Understood. Many of us feel the same way. We just haven't had the time to
implement this feature.

> Out of curiosity: which dive computer(s) do you have?

I have an ostc2n and an xdeep.

> Right now we expect that only a select set of dive computers and Android
devices will work for direct downloading with Subsurface-mobile
> Not all Android devices are designed to be USB hosts - with some
phones/tablets you'll be able to get some FTDI based dive computer cables
to work (e.g., OSTS, some Suunto dive computers, etc), but a number of
Android devices don't support USB OTG at all and for those downloading via
USB won't be possible.

well, I've attached 2 screenshots of this, I've started the app and pressed
cloud and then add dive manually.

>> > The issue is that you didn't actually enter valid cloud credentials -
which makes me think that you may not have used our desktop software before?

>> Yes I have but I don't have an account so I didn't enter any info. I
wanted to test the app first. So you don't consider this an issue that the
old view is still there?

> Yes, I do - it will be fixed in the next update to the beta version. That
version will also make it much clearer that right now Subsurface-mobile
isn't useful unless you connect it to the Subsurface cloud storage (which
requires that you set it up from the desktop version).

> Thanks for giving it a try and providing feedback!
>
> /D

Cheers
Andreas