Android alpha -832 with experimental mobile components change

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Feb 11 11:34:16 PST 2016

Since many of us were not in love with the ActionButton and the way it was used to interact with the application, Marco kindly made an experimental version of the mobile components to be able to test a different idea with our users. Those of you who have played with the Android app, I'd appreciate if you could spend a few moments playing with the -832 build.

In this version you no longer drag the ActionButton to open the drawers, instead there are buttons in the corners to do this (and of course edge swipe works as well). Right now both buttons always show and the buttons are completely opaque (both of which I think should change), but the fundamental question is this: ignoring the Material Design defaults, simply from an interaction point of view, is this better / same / worse than dragging the ActionButton? Remember, the logic for having these controls on the bottom of the screen is that there they are significantly easier to reach there than tapping at the standard menu buttons in the top corners of the screen.

I copied Marco and Thomas (who leads the HID team for Plasma Mobile) on this email, please copy them in your responses as I don't believe they are on this mailing list.

Thanks all