Android alpha -838 with experimental mobile components change

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Feb 12 10:28:37 PST 2016

> On Feb 12, 2016, at 8:55 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>
> Yes! We are going to make Subsurface mandatory.
>
> YU VILL LIKE IIT (spoken with Arnold-style German accent)

(I think I will quote this in every email I send for a while...)

>>> The question is more complicated with the handles on the bottom - and
>>> that's why we are doing these alpha binaries so people can try them and
>>> tell us what they think. I'll make a new binary with the transparent
>>> handles soon so we can collect more feedback.
>>
>> Yes, the idea with the bottom corner handles still has to stand the test of
>> actual usage, and I'm excited to see what the results will be!
>
> I'll try to find the time to make that even more polarizing test binary that I mentioned
> above. I got it mostly done before breakfast but then got side tracked by getting my
> daughters to school and focusing on the day job. Still need to track down one odd
> bug before pushing it.

OK, I found (and hid) the idiocity that I committed before first coffee this morning.
I also made a couple of changes to the mobile components to make the handles
even less intrusive (feedback on that is welcome, too).

-838 is in downloads/daily and soon will be in the alpha area of the play store.

About two dozen people here have so far tried the Android app. It would be good
if we could get constructive, solid feedback to Marco and Thomas (please copy them,
they are not on the Subsurface mailing list). I'm beginning to lean towards this direction,
no buttons in the top bar, user interactions focused on the bottom. So if you feel this
is the wrong decisions, please speak up.

Please also note you'll need to use my APKs to get the desired effect as I haven't
sent my patches to the mobile components to Marco, yet.

Also, when commenting, please note the approximate size of your screen. I think
this might get different responses from people on smaller phones, people on phablets
like the Nexus 6 / 6p, and people on tablets...

Thanks