Subsurface-mobile for Android -845

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Sat Feb 13 03:56:55 PST 2016

On Samstag, 13. Februar 2016 10:35:50 CET Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 9:59 AM, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen <
>
> subsurface at henrik.synth.no> wrote:
> > Just a couple of things: The title bar is too cramped now.  Other apps use
> > that to display info on the current context.  We could display "Dive list"
> > or "Dive #643" or "Edit dive #242" or "About" there in the future.
> >
> > And since we're going for the action button design, how about making it
> > more like the action buttons in other apps, i.e. larger and more to the
> > right?

+1 for making it bigger (I don't know why it's currently so small, it was
bigger in our mockups). I wouldn't push it to the side, though, because it can
still be dragged to open drawers, so the center position is best for that.

Even though Subsurface uses no context drawer at the moment doesn't mean that
it never will, so I wouldn't recommend optimizing the overall UI for not
having one

Also, there are some Google apps which have the action button at the center
(e.g. Phone or Clock), even though most have it on the right.

> And if possible, why not go all in:  It looks like the google apps (e.g.
> Google Plus and Photos) hide the top bar and the action button as you
> scroll downwards in a list (or large page), giving full access to the
> screen estate.

Marco had the idea to hide the top bar when scrolling as well, and it
absolutely makes sense to me, since people should still remember where they
are even when they scroll down.
I'm not so sure about the action button, though, given that it holds the most
important action on a screen.

Cheers,
Thomas (responsible for the KDE mobile HIG)