Subsurface-mobile for Android -845

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Sat Feb 13 14:54:18 PST 2016

On Samstag, 13. Februar 2016 09:57:21 CET Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> > Hi!  I think it looks pretty decent now.  I like that there is less
> > clutter.
> Yay!

Yay++

> > Just a couple of things: The title bar is too cramped now.  Other apps use
> > that to display info on the current context.  We could display "Dive list"
> > or "Dive #643" or "Edit dive #242" or "About" there in the future.
>
> That's a good idea... but I think I like the idea of it simply fading away
> even better.

+1 for fading away.

> > And since we're going for the action button design, how about making it
> > more like the action buttons in other apps, i.e. larger and more to the
> > right?
>
> Thomas answered the "more to the right" question. But there's another
> reason. Right now, when you use your device in landscape mode you get the
> action button right on the center divider which is perfect, IMHO.
>
> > And one more (less related) thing:  If I edit a dive and press the back
> > button (instead of save), I should get a request: "Discard edits? [Yes /
> > Save edits / Cancel]
>
> I hate those dialogs on some level, but I guess you are right.

> Thomas, what's the HID approved way of doing something like that?

We originally had the idea that for "swipe to go back/forward" or "column-
based navigation", one could simply swipe forward again to get back to the
already entered/changed data if one has accidentally swiped back without
saving (before navigating somewhere else). That's not as easily possible when
using the back button, of course.

Google's apps for Android (those which do not auto-save) do use such a dialog.
They all use a Discard/Cancel approach (though with completely different
wording and even inconsistent button position between the apps, which is
really bad design).
We haven't written about it in the HIG yet (we'll still add one guideline for
that), but here's what I'd suggest:
"Discard your changes?" [Discard] [Keep Editing]". This makes saving take one
more step, but we want to train users to just hit "Save" anyway, and it makes
the decision in the dialog easier.
There is already a component for a slide-in dialog available (don't know its
name, though, tbh. If you can't find it, ask Marco).

Cheers,
Thomas