Subsurface-mobile for Android -845

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Feb 13 20:18:42 PST 2016

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 09:59:36PM +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> I ran 849 on two Android versions 4.3 and 5.1.1. Appears pretty stable,
> especially on Android 4.3. A few points or suggestions, :
>
> 1) In Show GPS fixes, the text flows underneath the three lines forming the
> drag point on the right of each GPS record. In 5.1.1 this is worse than with
> 4.3.

I think this is more a font-size to screen-size issue than a 4.3 vs 5.1.1
issue. Do you have a screen shot?

> 2) About the right-hand action panel (context menu?), I would not rule it
> out at this point altogether. For instance after editing, the SAVE button at
> the bottom is located in a little bit of an unexpected place. A context menu
> with SAVE CHANGES and QUIT WITHOUT SAVING could work. Of course this creates
> the question of what the Action Button should do in this situation, so I can
> understand if a context menu is not implemented here.

I like what we have now, but am willing to hear arguments. I find the
context menu a bit awkward for save/cancel

> 3) Text in the landing screen has a left margin pretty close to the left
> edge of the screen.

OK, something to look at again - there may be some margin missing or
something.

> 4) I have now loaded a full dive log (only some 200 dives) onto both mobile
> devices and I was surprised how rapidly a fairly large data set was loaded.

Finally a good surprise :-)

> After loading these data using 845, however, the program unpredictably
> crashes at startup. Attached a logcat. I would say about 60% of startups end
> in a crash. Those that start up behave pretty normally, no obvious
> anomalies. With 849 still the same problem. If necessary I can collect more
> information.

So the stack trace points the finger at picture caching. Not a lot to go
on :-(

BTW: grep for 'crash' in that logfile. Not trust inspiring.