Fwd: Re: Subsurface-mobile downloadfrom divecomputer

Anton Lundin glance at acc.umu.se
Sun Feb 14 12:27:21 PST 2016

On 14 February, 2016 - Willem Ferguson wrote:

> On 14/02/2016 06:13, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> >On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 08:55:27PM +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> >>  I need to filter the above dive computer names to those with FTDI
> >>interfaces. In libdivecomputer the dc_descriptor_t contains a lot of
> >>information, for instance the transport definition. In addition there is
> >>dc_type that also has information. Which is the mechanism to detect
> >>which compuyers have an FTDI interface?
> >I don't think there's a way to tell from their descriptor. We may have to
> >white-list the ones that we know works. Manually.
>
> :-((((

There's not necessary any connection between usb-serial chip and
divecomputer. One might use a ftdi usb-to-serial with a old serial cable
connected to any serial dive computer.

One manufacturer might have used ftdi chips in one generation of serial
cables, and silabs in another.

If there's a matching PID/VID available on the usb-bus we can use it.

The same goes for Bluetooth. There are crazy Bluetooth to serial bridges
out there.

I'd say we for now just leave it up to the user to choose the right
vendor / product combination, and if their cable works with subsurface
it should work.

Btw, Android dc download code requires the backend to support our
special custom serial thingie, and the only two libdivecomputer backends
that we have patched are Shearwater and OSTC3, so those are the only
ones that work on Android ATM.

(The plain libusb ones might work to... but none have ever tested them
as far as I know)

The custom serial code would probably need some work to be refactored
into something that doesn't require we patching every libdivecomputer
backend.

//Anton

--
Anton Lundin	+46702-161604