Subsurface-mobile for Android -845

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Feb 14 12:37:20 PST 2016

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 04:05:42PM +0100, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Sonntag, 14. Februar 2016 15:52:44 CET Rick Walsh wrote:
>
> > The logic is good, and the description makes sense.  The reasons I'd rather
> > the action button be 'save' are:
> > (1) I'm lazy and if all I want to do is enter/alter a couple of details
> > (e.g. dive site and buddy), then I don't want to have to scroll down to the
> > bottom of the page to find the save button
>
> I agree with Rick that the action button has to be "Save and close". Not
> primarily to accommodate laziness, but because "Save and close" is the primary
> action when editing something, which is what the button is for.

That has already been implemented in -858

> > (2) we effectively have two quick-access buttons: the action button and the
> > back button.  Having both do the same thing (with or without confirmation)
> > is a bit of a waste.  We have two actions that should be accessed rapidly:
> > save and discard.  The back button can be used to discard changes, so it
> > makes sense to me that the action button would be save.
>
> Yup, makes sense.

And that's what we have :-)

> > (3) let's trust the user knows what she's doing - more often than not, when
> > the user wants to leave the page, she wants to save changes.  We should
> > make that as easy as possible.
>
> Would it be technically possible that if the user goes back via the back
> button but immediately taps the action button again to go back to edit mode,
> they'd still see their changes?
> That would mean you'd have to keep the changes in memory until the user goes
> somewhere else, but it would make us tolerant toward  hitting the back button
> by accident.

I don't like that. Depending on how quickly you tap the button you get a
fresh edit or the old edit - surprising to the user.

> P.S.: I've subscribed to the mailing list now, so no need to CC me anymore.
> Please remember to still CC Marco Martin for anything that would be relevant
> for for the components themselves.

Actually, Marco is on the mailing list as well by now. Looks like we
sucked both of you into working on Subsurface. Thanks for your willingness
to help!

:-)