Subsurface-mobile 858 - crashes

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Feb 14 15:41:24 PST 2016

> On Feb 14, 2016, at 12:58 PM, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>
> On 14/02/2016 22:26, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 10:46:15AM +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
>>> I have many crashes. Happens before the dive list is displayed. Launches
>>> successfully about 20% of the time. Apart from that, same symptoms observed
>>> by others.
>> Do you have another logcat with a crash or two in it? That's really more
>> useful than just a report of "I have many crashes".
>>
>> I poked around in the function that was shown top of stack and nothing
>> jumped out at me :-(
>>
>> What's odd is that it works one out of five times. I hate
>> non-deterministic crashes...
>>
>> /D
>>
> I have run 859 many times now without a crash. If I am the only one complaining, let's leave it for the moment and see
> what happens? I have several logcats for 858, but I would wait and see if this is persistent.

OK. Let's see if others run into this as well.
Knowing my luck, I'm sure they will.

> Comment or 2:
>
> 1) The font on the Show GPS fixes is much better, to such a degree that I would consider it solved. Obviously if the dive site name is long, then there is an overrun on the right. On my phone the "Auto-created dive" site name only just touches the left side of the three lines of the drag pad.

I'd still like to figure out how to get it to elide the way we do with the location name in the dive list. It's all just a function of time and lately it seems that I'm doing 90% of the QML work... would be lovely if someone else could try and tackle this one. We have working elide code - just look at DiveList.qml

> 2) I have some dives with lots of notes. The notes appear to be cut off after an & character in the text of the notes: inconvenient.

Hmm - I wonder if this is a quoting issue. Somehow the QML code thinks this is HTML and the '&' confuses it and it stops parsing? Can you replace the '&' with '&'?

> 3) I also see the white-screen phenomenon that Miika wrote about when one scrolls far down the dive list. Must be a buffering problem (see attached image). If I scroll slowly the problem does not occur.

I can confirm that. I'm hoping that Sebastian or Marco will have an idea what's happening there.

> 4) the apparent freezing of the UI while there is internet communication should be made a bit more user friendly, perhaps with a blatant message somewhere onscreen that says "Synchronising with cloud" or something similar so that the user can understand why the system is apparently frozen.

I thought we did that. Where do you see freezing where we don't give a message?

> There is immense progress with this software, nothing short of mind-boggling, albeit at the price of many,many man hours.

Yeah, tell me about that...

> I will do more complete testing of the latest version tomorrow.

Thanks. I'll try to introduce a few more bugs for you to test :-) :-) :-)

I really appreciate all the reports from all the testers. Seriously. I feel a bit overwhelmed at times but I'll get over it :-)