Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Subsurface-mobile downloadfrom divecomputer

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Mon Feb 15 00:50:54 PST 2016

On 14/02/2016 23:13, Anton Lundin wrote:
> On 14 February, 2016 - Willem Ferguson wrote:
>
>> Is there a way in android to check for a PID? You can imagine that
>> the initial step of devising communication will be immensely
>> complex.
> A PID is useless without the corresponding VID. We already have code
> that checks for supported PID/VID's in get_usb_fd(). We would get
> intents from the system if a PID/VID that we had listed in the manifest
> would be connected to the device too.
>
> I failed to parse the sentence, so please rephrase if you can.
>

> //Anton

I guess I meant: If one connects a dive computer for the first time to
an Android device, which mechanisms are there within Subsurface to check
the integrity of the communication between Android and the dive
computer? I assume this has to be at the OS level, even before one
contemplates communication between Subsurface and the dive computer. In
Linux one has at least some facilities e.g dmesg that, amongst others,
reports valid devices. It is fairly certain that initially the dive
computer that I will test will NOT communicate with Subsurface. Without
a more basic way of monitoring the status of the I/O port and the device
seen on the other side of the port, debugging could be extremely
difficult. Hope this makes sense?
Kind regards,
willem