Advanced alternative to cloud storage in Subsurface mobile

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Feb 19 09:13:02 PST 2016

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 11:47:23AM +0100, Martin Gysel wrote:

> >> This falls into the "I understand why you want this, but I don't want this
> >> in the app that will be in the app store" category.
> >>
> >> Yes, this is really useful for six people who know what they are doing.
> > I must be one of those 6 people, this turns out to be exactly the
> > feature  was waiting for. I'd like to be able to access my dives from my
> > home server on my mobile (over VPN when I'm away from home). I'd
> > resigned myself to the fact that the Andoid app wasn't going to be for
> > me because it only worked with the one anointed data store .
> >
> > Hands up, who are the other five?
>
> although I created a cloud account recently to be able to use and test
> the mobile app I would really appreciate such a feature, so anther +1
>
> only a few more to prove dirk wrong ;)

I'm looking forward to being proven wrong and seeing that there are 9
people instead of the estimated 6. That, however, won't change my opinion
on this issue.

Subsurface is open source - you all are capable of building your own APK
with whatever features you desire. If you decide to make such APKs
publicly available (be it as download or through the play store) I
politely request that they are NOT called Subsurface, Subsurface-mobile,
or something closely derived from those names, simply to avoid end user
confusion - but since this isn't a registered trademark I of course cannot
force you to do so.