new beta and new alpha

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 21:09:34 PST 2016

On 21 Feb 2016 16:00, "Dirk Hohndel" <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

>> On Feb 20, 2016, at 8:36 PM, Rick Walsh <rickmwalsh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I downloaded and tried 870, and created and edited five dives.  The dive
details I entered were saved, and uploaded to cloud, and it didn't do
anything silly.

> Good to hear that!
>
>> A little bit of data validation would be nice.  One dive was to -20m,
another I was breathing 50/60, and another EAN120.  Unlikely a real user
would enter such values, so not worth holding up a release, but it'd be
nice to pick up on impossible values.

> How did you like EAN120? It should really help with deco.
>
> Yes, definitely something we should do. I'll need to look into validation
functions - I know that QML supports that.

>> On one dive, I entered air temperature as 50F, but it was saved as 50C.
Entering depth as 60ft, it was correctly converted to 18.3m.  My locale is
metric.

> 50F to 50C. That's annoying. One is a bit nippy, the other is decidedly
too warm...

> Let me stare at that code for a moment... odd, at first glance the code
looks like it should work. If the text you entered contains "C" (or
actually, QObject::tr("C") - are you running this in a locale where that
might be an issue?) then we use C_to_mkelvin(number)... and since we don't
have an en_AU translation to begin with and even in that "C" should
translate into "C"... hmmm...

I just tried again. This time even colder/not as hot. 40°F works brrr
(converted to 4.4°C), but 40F, 40f and 40°f all just take the number as
40°C.  I think we should tolerate lazy typing, permitting lower case and
not requiring the degree sign.

>> When viewing the dive on the desktop app or cloud.subsurface-divelog.org,
the dodgy gasses were displayed as air, with "Odd gasmix: 1200 O2 0 He" on
the desktop terminal output.  The dive with negative depth was listed with
its negative depth on cloud.subsurface-divelog.org, but listed as 0m on the
desktop app.

> Giggle. Ok, definitely something that we need to validate better.
>
>> I was a bit disappointed not to be able to delete my bogus dives from
Subsurface-mobile.  Would that be hard to implement?

> I'm not sure if it's really hard. I just forgot to do it. Adding an
option to do so to the context menu shouldn't be too much work.