Renaming Plasma Mobile Components and design philosophy to Kirigami

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Wed Feb 24 13:31:03 PST 2016

Dear Subsurface (mobile) team,
about two weeks ago, Marco came to the VDG (KDE's design group) asking for a
new name for Plasma Mobile Components.
The reasoning behind this request was that with them becoming their own KDE
framework and Subsurface mobile showing that they work very well outside of
Plasma Mobile, too, we don't want people to associate them strongly with
Plasma Mobile.

With that request, we started brainstorming. What we wanted the name to
express was
- Physicality (because it does have some similarities to Material Design,
while still being quite different in some areas)
- A tool for expressing your creativity in UI design
- Moving layers of things (because of the central role of drawers)

We had ideas like "slide", "paper" or "blocks" flying around, but then Alex
Longo (who is behind many of the design ideas in the components) came up with
Origami, which in turn led him to "Kirigami".
For those of you who (like the rest of the brainstorming team) don't know what
Kirigami is: It's a technique similar to Origami, which adds cutting to
folding.

It is physical, it is creative, kinda playful without being childish, and it's
far less common than Origami, which helps with searchability.

Like Material Design, Kirigami would be more than just a set of UI components,
it comes with its own design philosophy documented in the accompanying Human
Interface Guidelines.

Since you are our first users outside of KDE, we'd like to inform you about the
proposed name before we make it public.

So if you see any significant problem with this name (any negative
associations, any other framework with the same name that we are not aware
of), now is the time to speak up!

Cheers,
Thomas