Silly button [was Re: latest Android apk]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Jan 7 13:18:09 PST 2016

On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 09:50:50PM +0100, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:
> 5. jan. 2016 16.46 skrev "Dirk Hohndel" <dirk at hohndel.org>:
> >
> > I'll repeat - the only patch to the button that I'm interested in is the
> one that
> > disables it.
>
> It looks like that silly button is back in the latest build on Google Play
> (4.5.2.564)

Yes it is. After interesting discussions with the human interaction
designer in the Plasma team I decided to bring it back as it does really
improve the interaction. The idea is that if you hold your phone with one
hand (as most people do), the top two corner where the menu and context
menu buttons are, are the two hardest to get to spots on the screen.

So the action button is actually a much more convenient way to access
those menus.

"But I don't like change!" I said. And so we agreed to have both - the
menu buttons in the top corners which people are familiar with, and the
action button in the lower center, for people who don't want to dislocated
their thumbs.

I've played with this for a while yesterday and I think I can get used to
the action button - it does really make things easier. But you can safely
ignore it and use the traditional menu buttons if you prefer.