Subsurface mobile test

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jan 11 06:36:31 PST 2016

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 02:26:01PM +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> Build 4.5.2.618 (Galaxy S3)
> The GPS section of Mobile.
>
> It downloaded the coordinates from server correctly. Then I viewed the
> coordinates (list is quite long) without scrolling the list. All ok. Then I
> geo-tagged the dives. Nothing happened for a while then Subsurface-mobile
> gave a segfault and the Subsurface app closed automatically.

Not good. BUT - now that these can be downloaded from the server you might
be able to give me your password off list and I should be able to
hopefully reproduce this.

Needless to say, this hasn't crashed for me in all my tests, your data
must be hitting a corner case that I don't run into

> Restarted Mobile again, could not see the downloaded coordinates. When
> choosing the option, Show GPS fixes there was not even a no-coordinates
> screen. It just went back to the dive list. Decided to restart the program.

That's weird. It should show an empty screen.

> Restarted. Downloaded coordinates. ok. View coordinates. ok. Then when
> scrolling the coordinates list the program crashed Android so that the phone
> rebooted.

Ouch.

> Rebooted machine. Started Subsurface GPS-> Geotag dive. Nothing happened for
> a while then Subsurface-mobile gave a segfault and the Subsurface app closed
> automatically.
>
> After this I could not restart Subsurface again. Correction. It started up
> after a delay of about 4 minutes. Shut the program down, restarted. This
> time it started up normally.

OK, this is sounding quite concerning. My guess is that you have so many
GPS fixes that using the QSettings as persistant storage is running into
limitations (because it does open those settings when you start). This is
just a wild assed guess, though.

> Show GPS fixes. ok. See list. At this stage the autosave of the screen came
> on. When I cleared the screen autosave, the GPS list was gone. Used the Show
> GPS fixes button, but no response. Then after finally activating the
> leftside main panel, choosing GPS and then View GPS fixes, I could see the
> coordinates list again.

Yeah, I think the phone is just taking way to long to deal with the amount
of data.

> Now, the coordinate list format:
> Maybe if some sorting on date/time of the dive coordinates could be done it
> could help. Currently it looks like the oldest dives are at the top and new
> ones at the bottom. But WITHIN A TRIP, the new coordinates are at the top
> and the old ones at the bottom.

Coordinate list should follow trips at all. It has a sort model that
should sort them strictly by time. Do you have a screenshot for that?

> At this stage the coordinates list froze up on me, so I could not scroll
> down to the bottom of the list. Killed Subsurface using a task killer app.
>
> :-((   My greatest apologies if I sound like bitching: not so.

Not at all. You're just hitting cases that I haven't seen. All this means
is that we still have a lot more bugs to fix.

How many GPS fixes do you have in that list. Subsurface-mobile will tell
you in Developer->log