Subsurface mobile test

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jan 11 11:56:51 PST 2016

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 09:45:01PM +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> Looked at the GPS section again, much, much better. Tested:
> 1) Download GPS fixes. ok.
>
> 2) Show GPS fixes. This is much better but still not foolproof. If I scroll
> down, at about 80% of the 131 coordinates, the program freezes and Android
> kills it. I did this a few times and its repeatable.

Hmm. This is a fairly simple QML list. But the plasma mobile guys
mentioned that the list with actions could have performance issues.
Something to look into

> 3) GPS-tag dives. Yay, it worked! But see 5) below.
>
> 4) Upload GPS data. Took about 10 minutes to do that. But my Internet speed
> test only shows 4.5 MB/s at the moment. maybe ok. NO its NOT ok. If I look
> in the app log, there are many, many message saying: INTERNAL SERVER ERROR.
> See attached screenshot, screens and screens of it. In fact at the end the
> log is truncated and does not go all the way to the last GPS fix.(see
> attached screenshot).

So it talks to the webservice Python server which makes it harder for me
to debug this but I'll give it a try. I read through the validation code
and it does seem fairly straight forward, even for a non-Python speaker
like me. I should be able to get decent debug information from that with
some instrumentation.

> 4a. I am not quite ready to clear my GPS cache unless its easy to back up
> the cache.

Can you explain what you mean by that?

> 5) Display of locations. The very last dive is about 2.5 km from the true
> location, over land. All the other dives have much better precision but are
> a little out. Since I have no way of seeing the coordinates on the very last
> dive (list does not scroll; coordinates not given on profile screen), its
> difficult to determine the source of error. As far as I am aware I was never
> even close to the location shown on GMap, therefore unlikely choice of wrong
> coordinates from cache. Would help if the coordinates applied and their
> date/time are printed somewhere so that one can backcheck. App log?

Could be a faulty GPS fix. If you give me the date / time I can look in
the data base what's stored. But it seems that there is a loss of
precision somewhere in the process and I'll need to look into that. As if
somewhere we only process 3 or so digits after the decimal point.

> May I again express my extreme satisfaction at the reorganisation of the
> location treatment on Mobile, this makes one huge difference.

Cool - glad it's working for you.