preferences and settings for Subsurface-mobile

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jan 11 12:06:29 PST 2016

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 09:49:24PM +0200, "Paul-Erik Törrönen" wrote:
> > Yes, I threw in the partial pressures because they are an obvious extreme
> > case. I have no intention of enabling them on the phone and making the
> > profile even more crowded.
>
> I politely disagree on this point. I do concede that my position is one of
> a minority as a rebreather diver.
>
> For me the partial pressure for (O2) gasses during the dive are important
> data. Maybe even more important than the temperature.
>
> Does it become to complicated if you would enable the partial pressures
> for dives that are marked as CCR?

This all comes down to complexity and testing.

The next person will tell me "for me my heart rate is more important than
my tank pressure". The next person will say that they need the tissue
saturation graph because a cave diver they yada yada yada and then the
side mount divers want something else.

It doesn't end. There is no feature that doesn't have someone advocating
for it. Yet the more we add, the more crowded the profile gets, the more
complex the combinatorics become when it comes to testing.

It's easy enough for the people who want partial pressures to build their
own Android APK and use that. I don't think that the app from the Google
Play store should contain this.

> FWIW I use the app only for viewing the dive log which I store in the
> cloud. I use solely the desktop software to add and modify the dive data.
>
> Hence I would not mind if the profile image would be bigger (higher) than
> currently to accommodate more data.

I believe the correct answer here is that someone needs to create a
"Subsurface-CCR" Android app that caters to the needs of that audience.

> Regarding the profile, the placement of the labels for dives (and this
> goes for both the desktop as well as the mobile version, desktop
> screenshot attached) could do with some relocation. Currently they overlap
> to the degree that you can't see what they say.

I am looking forward to someone writing a label placement AI that manages
to avoid overlap.