pre beta test subsurface-mobile 655

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Jan 14 06:22:42 PST 2016

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 09:52:17AM +0100, Jan Mulder wrote:
> Tried the latest (655) version ( from google play) and I am getting very
> different results on 3 android devices.
>
> 1) 5" phone, android 5.1.1, cyanogenmod 12.1 (very latest daily).
>
> - entering cloud credentials and loading cloud data works correctly
> - same session, immediate SIGSEGV follows. Only with phone in portrait
> orientation. This is reproducible, and got introduced last week with the big
> modifications (swiping details and the code simplification set). Obviously,
> I can provide logcat when interested. In landscape orientation, the splash
> screen stays "forever", and no crash follows.
> - I see the following: splash screen, correct empty screen with the title
> bar, and the magic swipe icon. The sizing is incorrect (ie. the swipe icon
> is just above half screen).
>
> 2) 4" phone, android 5.1.1, cyanogenmod 12.1 (but not very recent).
> - 1st run: most just works as intended (obviously, scaling of profiles is
> not). 5 minutes of swiping around, all works. exit the app cleanly.
> - all next runs: after the correct splash screen, an almost black screen is
> shown. Only a small line of pixels on the left side of screen are shown.
>
> 3) 10" tablet, android 4.1.2
> - works,
> - but the start of the app show erratic screen repaints. For example:
> correct splash screen, small white empty frame. all outside the white frame
> flashes black, flash of the 3 buttons (download from cloud, divecomputer,
> ...), and then a correct re-size and the divelist is shown.
>
> So indeed very different, but somehow seems all related to sizing.

I have played with only two of my devices and I definitely see the weird
repainting / resizing stuff you describe in 3).
I haven't seen the crashes with the latest (Henrik reported a crash as
well off list). Nor have I seen it freeze.

Oh joy - phone apps seem to be as much fun as writing for Windows, Mac and
Linux. Just because it works for me apparently doesn't mean a thing.

Please keep the reports coming. If you are able to collect more data with
adb logcat
that's even better.

One thing that I believe would help is if in addition to posting here you
would also file bugs. We need to make sure we track these and fix these.