pre beta test subsurface-mobile 689

Jan Mulder jlmulder at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 21 02:11:52 PST 2016

List,

After the mysterious crash of yesterday (version 683) first a little
focus on the most recent changes with that respect. First, running on
the desktop, I can easily crash the app by pulling the divedetails
slider. Difficult to judge that there is any change here. However,
running on a 5" device, I only managed to crash it once (identical crash
stack compared to 683), but the stability has improved significantly.
 From very easy (for me, Dirk cannot reproduce it on his device), it is
changed to pretty difficult to recreate. I assume that the edit drawer
change has caused this change, but obviously, this is a wild guess.

Back to other functionality:

Editing of dive details. Ok, it works, and I can press save. When the
save button is hit there is no feedback that the save button is actually
pressed (in hindsight I think that that is true for all button hits
throughout the app). This is confusing because saving takes multiple
seconds to complete. In addition. what is the dive-edit save actually
doing? It doesn't save to the actual cloud, but (I assume, did not check
the source) but only to the local cache. So, exited the app, checked the
cloud data from my desktop. The latest save (from the divedetails edit
page) is not in the cloud. Opened on the device again, and the last edit
shows. Now, reopen the cloud on the desktop. And yes, the last save is
now also in the true cloud. So: on start of the app, the local cloud is
synced to the true cloud. I am not sure that that is what a mobile user
expects. This all said, it edited and saved correctly.

The editing itself. The notes box is bigger than the screen. So when
starting to enter text, you run out of screen and do not see what you
type. Re-positioning of the edit screen does not work (it slides back
when swiped). Basically, re-styling the edit screen would solve this
(labels on top instead of in front).

Then the situation that the cloud is newer than the local cache. The app
is opened, splash screen follows, and after that the divelist is shown.
Hit any dive, but nothing happens. Ok, the app is busy refreshing the
divelist and local cache data. It is visual feedback that is missing here.

Then some things that used to work but not any more:
- the divetrip header/footerline in the divelist.
- clicking underlined divesites would take me to (for example) Google
Maps. Now, nothing happens.

Some functionality that I really would like to be it a useful tool:
- the auto complete edit things from the desktop app (for example buddy
names, and divesite names).
- some way to filter dives. For example, when on a trip, I like to check
for previous dives on that site. The cloud web interface is currently
perfect for that.

FYI. I'm testing on a true logbook with approx 750 dives including
numerous dives of multiple hours, so its a relatively big dataset. This
might be the cause of some laggy effects I see.

best,

--jan