No-fly in Subsurface?

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sun Jul 24 17:33:09 PDT 2016

On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Linus Torvalds
> On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 4:33 PM, John Van Ostrand <john at vanostrand.com> wrote:
>>
>> So rather than calculate the deco stop at 0 ft for a safe ascent to 8000 ft,
>> maybe it should do a desaturation to an arbitrary percentage, like 1.5%
>> above ambient at 0 ft. Isn't 6 half-times considered desaturated?
>
> That might be a useful thing to do regardless of no-fly times. And
> yes, many dive computers seem to consider the two things the same
> (sometimes with a "no-fly is desat time with a minimum 24-hour")

Side note: I'm not going to have time to look at it, since the merge
window for 4.8 just started, but I'm assuming that it should be fairly
easy to just hook into calculate_deco_information() at the end, where
we have the tissue saturation data set up for the after-the-dive
situation.

I *think* you could just solve it analytically by looking at each
compartment, calculating how long to desat for that compartment
(exponential decay towards surface pressure with the factors for that
compartment), and just taking the max time.

Sounds like something Robert could do in his sleep in five minutes. Robert?

Or perhaps Rick knows what the VPM-B model considers desaturated.

            Linus