Dive into science

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 04:18:17 PDT 2016

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 2:31 AM, Pedro Neves <nevesdiver at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all:
>

> I've just came across this project that aims to collect data on ocean water
> temperatures from diving enthusiasts via their dive computers. The project
> has a simple *.csv template for divers to submit their info
> (http://www.diveintoscience.org/diveintoscience_data.csv). Could we
> integrate an option on Subsurface to export dives to that template?

Implementing export to that format would be quite easy. There are some
fields in the template, that are not that trivial to understand, e.g.
DC type or relation between max depth and depth. But then again, the
existing data suggests that we can leave blanks as well.

> More info here:
> https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jul/22/diving-enthusiasts-could-measure-ocean-temperatures-study-finds
>
> and here: http://www.diveintoscience.org/

The newest data I saw on the site was from 2012, and I did not see how
to upload new logs. The news article, on the other hand, states that
they have collected 3 times more data than the web site shows. So is
this project alive or not?

miika