Dive into science

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Mon Jul 25 04:55:09 PDT 2016

On 25.07.2016 01:31, Pedro Neves wrote:

> Hi all:
>

> I've just came across this project that aims to collect data on ocean water
> temperatures from diving enthusiasts via their dive computers. The project has
> a simple *.csv template for divers to submit their info
> (http://www.diveintoscience.org/diveintoscience_data.csv). Could we integrate
> an option on Subsurface to export dives to that template?
>

> More info here:
> https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jul/22/diving-enthusiasts-could-measure-ocean-temperatures-study-finds
>
> and here: http://www.diveintoscience.org/

If the project is still alive, I think a cooperation would be a great
opportunity for both projects!
Ideally, having an export into their format would be only the first step,
however. If I were you guys, I'd try to convince them to provide an API so that
Subsurface could directly upload data to them!
Initiativies like Dive Into Science, which do not have a direct personal benefit
for the user but are "for the greater good", only work if they are insanely easy
to participate in. Any barrier between willingness and actual participation
greatly reduces the number of active participants.
A direct upload feature (ideally including sign-up from within Subsurface, or at
least Subsurface advertising the project) could significantly boost both
projects: They would get a boost of participants if it's much easier to do, and
Subsurface could get more users if it's advertised by them as the default app
for participants.
And apart from these practical benefits, Subsurface could also use it for
marketing: "Subsurface helps scientists measure ocean temperatures" is a great
headline for promo!

Let's hope that they are indeed still alive, and if so, I'd recommend to get a
deep collaboration going with them.

Cheers,
Thomas