No-fly in Subsurface?

Steve Butler kg7je at comcast.net
Wed Jul 27 14:26:15 PDT 2016

On 07/27/2016 01:44 PM, Lutz Vieweg wrote:
> One additional reason for "yet more safety margin" could be
> that "loss of cabin pressure" is, albeight seldom, an event
> that can actually happen on a flight.
> Question is: Is loss of cabin pressure likely enough to
> justify calculating with a much lower ambient pressure
> (for the period of time the plane requires to descend to
> 2400m) for decompression?
>
> Regards,
>
> Lutz Vieweg

Interesting article for scuba diving pilots at
https://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/dcs.pdf

This event http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20377149

The fact that it is rapid is further concern
http://www.avmed.in/2011/10/cabin-pressurisation-%E2%80%93-hazards-of-rapid-decompression/

Note:  Most of this is about the pilot who also dives.  I know that an
hour at 10,000 feet (3,000m) will give me a deep headache and slowed
response time -- even when I haven't been diving recently.