[PLEASE VOTE] so what should we be working on

Anton Lundin glance at acc.umu.se
Wed Jun 1 12:55:54 PDT 2016

On 31 May, 2016 - Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> We get a fair amount of feedback that amounts to "why are you using Kirigami instead of writing native apps for Android and iOS?" (many of them not phrased as neutrally as that).
> And to me the thought process is simple. This way we can share code and we have a large part of the code written in a language / toolkit that many of us understand and (sorry) most importantly that I understand. I look at our Subsurface companion apps for Android and iOS (in Java / ObjC) and I can't even read the code enough to fix bugs, let alone contemplate expanding them to become full blown apps. So to me the decision to use Kirigami is still the correct decision. Yes, I wish that we had more developers - we get great support from Marco, Thomas, and Sebastian, and I know that several of you have tried to wrap their minds around QML, including you, Willem. And I have received some patches. I would feel a lot more comfortable if there was another developer who really understood the code and contributed regularly. A man can dream, right?

I'd say its thanks to Sebastian, Marco and Thomas the qml/Kirigami
approach even became a viable path. Without them at least I would never
have bin able to produce a usable Qt mobile app.

That said, I still would have preferred building native UI's that use
our c/c++ core. For a simple POC of what i mean, look at the work
Venkatesh Shukla did for the standalone android downloader app. The ui
was done in native Android Java, and used the subsurface core as a jni
library.

In reality, I'm not the one writing the mobile app so my opinions
doesn't really matter.

//Anton

--
Anton Lundin	+46702-161604