libdivecomputer merge

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Jun 12 23:13:14 PDT 2016

> On Jun 12, 2016, at 11:02 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 12, 2016, at 9:05 PM, Miika Turkia <miika.turkia at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Dirk
>>
>> can you update libdivecomputer for the daily builds? This would bring at least Aqualung i300 support..
>>
>> Otherwise a sample cmd line for dctool would be useful for at least one i300 user so he won't loose data. I am currently abroad without access to DC so I cannot test sample commandline myself. (And that has always taken a few attempts to get right.)
>
> I would suggest asking on the libdivecomputer list about dctool command line and usage.
>
> Jef and I talked about our rather different vision and priorities for libdivecomputer and I think it is fair to summarize the result as “I gave up on the conversation”. The changes that we made to libdivecomputer to be more useful for Subsurface will apparently not make it upstream. And Jef’s abstraction of the serial code makes it increasingly painful to merge master back into our branch. I simply don’t have the time (nor the energy) to waste on this right now. I barely find enough time to try and keep Subsurface itself going.
>
> I believe that we need to find someone who is willing to maintain the Subsurface fork of libdivecomputer. The good news is that this is all C code and requires no knowledge of C++, QT, QML or any of the other skills that are of such short supply here.
>
> I’ll be happy to give commit rights to our repository to anyone interested in taking over.

In the meantime I dropped all the refactoring code that’s in libdivecomputer master and cherry picked the functional changes… I hope the resulting code will work but this has received zero testing. Result has been pushed to Subsurface-branch

I’ll trigger dailies but I’m not optimistic that this will be a sustainable way to deal with things.