Some issues with mobile

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Jun 16 06:52:25 PDT 2016

> On Jun 16, 2016, at 12:53 AM, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>
> 1) Immediately after providing a valid PIN, Subsurface-mobile is not directly activated: several fields are greyed out, including the GPS menu and the Manage Dives menu, presumable because they require cloud access. One has to close the app and start it up again. Then everything is ok. I think this is inconsistent.

Very inconsistent. Let me figure out why this is the case.

> 2) When accessing the user manual from the mobile app, it looks like the manual is loaded from the Internet, not from local storage. This would mean that, at remote sites with no Internet, there is no access to the manual. Is this correct? I can understand that this ensures access to the latest user manual. On the other hand, if its an old version of Subsurface mobile that is run on the phone, the latest version of the manual may actually be inappropriate???

The problem is that we don't have an integrated way to render the HTML (that I was able to find). So just linking to the manual seemed like an easy and universal solution - but you are of course correct, that requires internet connection.

I don't think this is something I'll have time to work on anytime soon. If someone wants to tackle the problem, please be my guest. I'd even be happy with a "one platform" solution (so something that works only on Android, for example).