Suunto EON Steel breakages..

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Mon Jun 20 12:03:12 PDT 2016

So the fairly recent update of libdivecomputer to merge stuff from
Jeff is completely broken for the Suunto EON Steel: Jeff added support
for the "devinfo" event for the EON Steel, but that event is just
pointless garbage, and actually breaks things by introducing the wrong
device IDs.

I don't understand why Jeff refuses to acknowledge that using an
unsigned int for a serial number is completely broken, and why he
cannot just take the new string-based interface, but the end result is
that we now get garbage from libdivecomputer, and sadly then trust the
garbage we get over the much better model we used to use.

The end result is that trying to download data from the EON Steel will
now download old dives as well, since subsurface thinks it's a
different dive computer.

I have some preliminary patches to fix it, but they just undo the
libdivecomputer breakage. I'll try to make soem more invasive changes
to subsurface to be smarter about device ID's instead, so that we can
let Jeff continue to play with his useless bogus information, and just
ignore it when we have better information available.

I'll also try to extend the Suunto EON Steel parser to start adding
the CCR support that I now have a test-case for. We currently don't
parse setpoints etc correctly, which is not surprising since the
parser is based on reverse-engineering things based on my dives, that
didn't have anything like that.

But in the future, I *would* ask that when merging Jeff's
libdivecomputer branch, not taking the EON Steel changes. All the code
came from me originally anyway, and so far Jeff's changes have just
been making things worse.

             Linus