Time zones (again)

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue Jun 21 13:20:25 PDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 12:44 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at macieira.org> wrote:

> I don't see such functions yet in the latest git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/
> linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git. I could only find the regular gettimeofday
> in kernel/time/time.c and the compat version in kernel/compat.c.

The actual gettimeofday() system call is the least problem, we could
do that with a 5-second patch.

The problems for the kernel are all the embedded timeval pointers in
user space structures that get accessed through ioctl's (or things
like poll/select timeouts), or all the filesystems that have odd
timestamp limits (that may not be exactly 32-bit).

So we don't even know the actual end result details yet. We do know
that user space will have to move to a 64-bit time_t at some point,
even if the actual kernel interfaces might end up being slightly
different.

                  Linus