Subsurface-mobile on iOS UI design questions

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Mar 8 21:36:11 PST 2016

Hi Thomas,

So I really like where we ended up with the Android user interaction. It's clean, it's consistent, it's easy to use.

I now have a working iOS build that I have been testing and there is of course one massive difference between iOS devices and Android devices: iOS devices have no back button.

How should we deal with this. Most iOS applications rather consistently have a little back arrow in the top left corner. I'm pretty sure that you'll tell me that you don't like that. So before I spend the time to implement this only to then be impressed by a better idea from you, let's shortcut the process... I'll ask you first :-)

What do you suggest we should do for the back / abort / cancel action on iOS?

Something in the context menu? I hope not. We only have a context menu on one single screen (the dive details edit) and that would be tap - drawer open - tap - drawer close - whatever action back should be doing. NOT smooth, IMNSHO.

Follow the iOS standard with a back button in the top left corner?

Something else?

Thanks for your help!