Subsurface-mobile for Android first release

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 05:36:29 PST 2016

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 1:26 PM, John Smith <noseygit at hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> That is stunning. I load 420 dives in maybe 40 seconds. Or a different user with 50 dives in maybe 15 seconds.
>>
>> Miika knows this feeling. Quick question that I forgot to ask earlier. Do
>> you have pictures stored in your dive log by any chance? For a while we
>> stored pictures in the git repository and that can make the repository
>> HUGE. Which would explain why things are so horribly slow.
>>
>> But I also know that under certain network conditions we do a very poor
>> job, performance wise. Which is disappointing since normally git is a very
>> efficient protocol.
>>
> I used to have photos but I deleted them after the initial reports of problems. Nothing shows in my desktop but the android file size is massive.

yep, the the photos are still stored on the git repository, even
though you cannot see them directly in Subsurface. And therefor the
size of your cloud data is massive when comparing to what it could be.
I resolved my issue by forcing new (empty) git history into the cloud
with following steps:

Using star in the commands assumes that there is only one directory
under cloudstorage, which should be the normal case.

$ cd ~/.subsurface/cloudstorage/*
$ git checkout --orphan force
$ git add -A
$ git commit
$ git branch  -D miika.turkia at gmail.com
$ git branch -m miika.turkia at gmail.com
$ git push -u --force origin miika.turkia at gmail.com
$ cd .. && rm -rf *

* And finally open up the cloud storage on Subsurface desktop application.

The above assumes you are on Linux machine, but the git steps should
be the same on other OSes. You basically create an orphaned branch
with only one git commit that contains your current log book. Then you
replace the master branch with this clean branch, and force push it
all to the cloud storage overwriting the old data. This cleaned a few
hundred megs from my repository allowing fast syncs after these steps.
Obviously you will need to tune some info on the commands and
hopefully have some understanding of what you are doing, if you want
to clean the cloud storage with this method.

HTH,
miika