CRLF in doc directory?

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sun Mar 13 13:36:42 PDT 2016

On Mar 13, 2016 1:10 PM, "Dirk Hohndel" <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> > file has CRLF line endings. Was that intentional?
>
> Yeah, I know. I don't quite know why that is the case. Somehow the tools
> do that. It doesn't seem to matter so I haven't bothered to try to fix it.

Hmm. It looks like some other files don't have that.

You could try something like a .gitattributes file that says

   Documentation/*.html.git text=auto

which should make git convert them all to LF internally, and then check
them out with whatever the system default is (so CRLF on Windows, LF
elsewhere).

I'm not a huge fan of the SCM messing with line endings, but if other tools
generate that kind of crud, and we end up having odd random mixtures
depending on how the file was sent around etc, then maybe that is the
lesser evil.

  Linus