two questions regarding QML

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Mar 14 09:15:03 PDT 2016

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 10:33:18AM +0000, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> First, I know next to nothing about translations.

That's where I already started twice - first when translating the Gtk
version, then the Qt version. It seems that no one understands translation
and localization until they end up having to do it :-)

> For KDE apps, we use a different mechanism built with the ki18n
> Framework, and it's not compatible with Qt's tr() system.

Ah, ok.

> I could quickly find this page:
> http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtquick-internationalization.html which suggests
> that it works the same way as lupdate / lrelease.

I'll look into that. Thanks.

> > b) Thomas suggested that we should use the swipe right as our "back"
> > function everywhere. Is there an easy way in QML / Kirigami to be told if
> > there was a swipe right on the current page? I browsed the Kirigami sources
> > and find a lot of painful, manual QML that seems to deal with the swipes
> > for the overlay drawers, but I hope I don't have to reproduce something
> > like that in my code... on most pages we actually happen to do the right
> > thing already, the only one where this doesn't quite work is the StartPage
> > (so when we re-enter cloud credentials). I could work around this by making
> > the Dive List option in the menu do the right thing here and then I guess I
> > could avoid handling all this, but I figured I'd at least ask in case this
> > is easy...
>
> We could fire a signals swipedRight(event) and swipedLeft(event) from the
> Kirigami components perhaps, and allow the user (of the components) to accept
> it (event is "eaten" by the app) or not accept it (event may be used by the
> app, but is still also handled in the component, for example to switch page.
>
> Would that solve your problem?

I think it would help, but based on what Marco said that may not be that
easy since StartPage and DiveList are actually the same page, just with a
schizoid personality issue :-)