cloud connection timeout

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Mar 23 08:34:34 PDT 2016

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 8:19 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Yes, git gives us a very vague idea of how big the transfer might be, but
> that's long after the SSL connection was established. And Miika never gets
> that far because we have a fairly short timeout for the SSL connection.

Also, on a bad connection it tends to be the initial handshakes where
git tries to figure out what to transfer that is the worst part.
That's the latency-sensitive part of the transfer where the client and
server do some back-and-forth discussion. If you don't have pictures
in your git repository, the actual bulk data transfter itself should
stream well, and not be too expensive.

I also would not be surprised if that the initial handshake might be
the weakest part of libgit2. We've certainly encountered situations
where libgit2 doesn't do as well as "real" git, because the library
implementation made a few code simplifications.

But in this case it sounds like we're not even getting to that git
handshake part, and are failing even before that just in the ssh
setup.

          Linus