what we learned from the iOS testers so far...

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Fri Mar 25 09:49:12 PDT 2016

Hi,

> On 25.03.2016, at 17:36, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>
> So you are experiencing the same things many people (Miika most vocally) have complained about. libgit2 does NOT appear to be as smart and fast when it comes to low-bandwidth situation as the git client. One of the key reasons why I picked git as the storage protocol was that the protocol itself tries to be super clever. This needs analysis by an expert. Thankfully I am taking an expert to a place that promises mediocre internet speed (Cozumel) next week, so there is hope that we can get some insights here...

Too bad I cannot run a packet sniffer on the DSL router here. So far, it seems, it is not slow but never finishes. To the degree that it could be completely stuck as well.

My repository on my desktop has 90MB, almost all in .git/objects/packed. My guess is that this contained images at some point. Is there an easy way to get rid of those? As long as I keep the current state, I am happy to give up the history. Git experts to the rescue!

Best
Robert