Feature Request - cloud and local storage behavior

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Mar 28 19:18:01 PDT 2016

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 08:19:30PM -0500, Andy Toy wrote:
> I just activated my cloud storage, downloaded the android app, and love how
> I can get my dive log on my phone, but it seems that I can either save/load
> a file locally to/from the cloud - not both simultaneously.

Well, whenever you save to the cloud, you have a local cache which
contains a full copy of the cloud files - that's transparent to you.

> I would love to have a local copy of my dive log on my computer, if the
> cloud version is newer it updates the local copy, if the local copy is
> newer it updates the cloud copy and the same behavior with the phone.
> Essentially, I'd much rather it treat the local copy as offline cache that
> can be used if the internet is not available.

That is EXACTLY what it does :-)

> It also looks like I can't open the xml file on the mobile version, an easy
> workaround for me would be to simply have my divelog sync to dropbox (or
> any other similar service) and keep a local copy on the phone which is then
> opened by the app.

We decided against such an option because it adds more configuration, more
dependencies, more complications, more things that can go wrong.

Open the XML file on the desktop, save it to the cloud, voila, you have it
both on the desktop and the cloud. Easy, transparent - and just ONE scheme
that we need to debug and maintain.