Kirigami design question

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Mar 30 19:06:21 PDT 2016

Thomas,

Based on some of the feedback we have been getting from testers on iOS
(I'm sure you have seen some of it here) I have been wondering if we
should consider a change to the Kirigami design...

Right now the bottom layout shows a right angle/arrow in the lower left
corner (main drawer), an action button in the center (optional) and a
left angle/arrow in the right corner (context drawer).

Would it be possible to have instead the angle for the global drawer plus
up to four action buttons? The center one could be bigger and be the
default action, to the right (where we have the context drawer handle) one
could have a virtual back button, then half left could be an auxiliary
"positive" action (so "add dive", "do something"), and half right could be
an auxiliary "negative" action ("delete", "cancel").

I think this would be more intuitive to iOS users (based on their
feedback). I also think this is easier to use than having to open the
context drawer. And at least in the case of Subsurface so far, this covers
everything we ever need to do.

Of course one could keep this extensible and allow to have the right most
button instead be one that opens a context drawer after all.

What do you think? Too crazy? Too cluttered? Or maybe worth a try?