RFC Multiple users of cloud storage

Robert Helling helling at lmu.de
Wed May 18 05:44:44 PDT 2016

Hi,

we had now several users asking for a possibility to use more than one cloud logbook in parallel.

The local path for the repository is derived from the users email address (which happens to be her username as far as git is concerned) and this together with the password/pin in stored in the settings which is per user (of the OS).

So the standard response is to use different accounts on your computer and this keeps the two cloud storages separate. But some users might not like this for example because they want to share dives between users or because the way they have set up their computer at home which has only a single account for everybody (for sure not a great idea).

Maybe we should be more flexible at this point. I am writing this because before I start investing time in writing this, I want to make sure that you guys don’t hate this approach. This is not so much about how to present this to the user (hopefully in a non-intrusive way that can easily be ignored by the vast majority of the users that don’t want to have multiple accounts).

This is more about the internal handling. What is the local path name and in that go I would also address the fact that currently Dirk’s cloud server is more or less hard coded into the program.

I don’t necessarily invite our users to run their own cloud servers (as we don’t want to maintain and trouble shoot those) but I came to this problem also when playing with the CHIP/RaspberryPi approach to connect mobiles to dive computers: I am still entertaining the possibility that the embedded device presents itself as a cloud server to the phone. For this I would also need flexibility to set the remote repository.

This would now be the moment to say “No don’t. This is a user experience/maintanance/whatever nightmare! We are not going down that road”.

Because otherwise, I would start exploring that road.

Best
Robert

PS: It has gotten a bit silent about the CHIP/RaspberryPi thingy. Any success stories on your part? Any interest in sharing frustration? IRC would be a great place!

                      Scientific Coordinator
                      Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
                      http://www.atdotde.de

Enhance your privacy, use cryptography! My PGP keys have fingerprints
A9D1 A01D 13A5 31FA 6515  BB44 0820 367C 36BC 0C1D    and
DCED 37B6 251C 7861 270D  5613 95C7 9D32 9A8D 9B8F