[PLEASE VOTE] so what should we be working on

Henrik Brautaset Aronsen subsurface at henrik.synth.no
Sat May 28 15:17:24 PDT 2016

On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 11:37 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> a) no one cares about Subsurface-mobile. No bug reports, no code, no
> suggestions, nothing. So I guess we should call this a failed attempt and
> abandon it - screw the 500 or so people who use it.

Are you insane?  Subsurface-mobile is fantastic!

> b) Miika continues to deal with any import bug that shows up. Awesome.
> Your patches have been pushed

Thumbs up!

> d) no one cares about the dive site mess that we have. The current version
> in Subsurface 4.5.x is pretty much unusable and makes no bleeping sense.
> No patches, some suggestions for improvement, no discussion, nothing.

I tried making a suggestion that would make it cleaner, but it was shot
down.  I still care a lot about proper dive site handling, and it's one of
the reasons why I still haven't switched to Subsurface as my main dive
app.  But still, that's me.  I have no idea what others think.

> In summary, this project is pretty much dead. I guess it does everything
> the formerly active developers wanted? Or everyone has moved on to more fun
> things? Or had children, changed jobs, built a house, lost their job, or
> one of a number of other life events?

Don't give up just because things have slowed down lately.  The pace has
been pretty hefty for awhile, and it's just a slow season.  Things will
pick up again.  Summer is just around the corner, people might be busy
diving :)

> (1) just shut this down and move on?

No.  Give it a couple of years before you give up.

> (2) move things to maintenance mode, abandon Subsurface-mobile, fix bugs
> in Subsurface whenever we find time but otherwise declare victory? It won't
> be too painful to track libdicecomputer and keep making 4.5.x releases for
> a while, I guess...

Give it time!

> (3) focus on Subsurface-mobile, release the iOS version, update the
> Android version and see if there is a single person besides me who is
> willing to invest time into that?

If you feel you have time for it, please do! The mobile app is awesome.  Or
get some more diving in, do other fun stuff, clear your head,  and come
back :)

> (4) focus on Subsurface 4.6, fix the dive site management and create a
> list of prioritized features that we want to get in place?

That would be nice.

> (5) focus on Subsurface 5.0, write a completely new UI and abandon what we
> have in 4.5?

That sounds counter productive.  I'd rather have the current product
evoluting step by step.

> If your vote is for 3, 4, or 5 I assume that you are volunteering to carry
> some of the work that is needed to get there.
> If you don't vote, I will count that as a vote for 1.

Well, that's a sucky ultimatum.   It looks to me like you really want to
shut down Subsurface by trying to scare people away from voting.  But
somehow I hope not.

Henrik