CHIP with subsurface

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Mon May 30 07:41:00 PDT 2016

On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 4:50 PM, Robert Helling <helling at lmu.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my progress on the CHIP has unfortunately been slower than I though
> originally (mainly because there are a number of things do do and each takes
> longer than expected).
>
> Some things work, others not yet, but I see no fundamental obstacle, yet.
> All I have done so far works identically on CHIP and RaspberryPi. To be
> reproducible, I have logged all my steps here:
>
> http://trac.subsurface-divelog.org/wiki/Subsurface%20on%20RPi
>
> Currently, I could use help with three things:
>
> 1) Wifi Access point: i have the thing act like and access point. But
> iPhones, upon establishing a dhcp connection, phone home to apple and try to
> download http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html to see if they are
> connected to the “real” internet rather than some hotel captive portal. As
> we do not provide that, we should respond to that request. I guess that
> means we have to run a DNS server and claim that we are www.apple.com and
> then serve that page.

IIRC this should be very easy to do with dnsmasq. Just one line in the
configuration stating that www.apple.com is our IP. Comment in config
file states that we can define a domain to be served as local, so we
might have to grab the whole apple.com but a simple test should reveal
the facts.

address=/apple.com/192.168.1.1

dnsmasq can act as a DHCP server as well, so it should cover quite
well what services we need.

I believe all vendors are more or less doing the same test, so we
might need to cover quite a bit of different connectivity tests.

miika