[PLEASE VOTE] so what should we be working on

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue May 31 07:39:53 PDT 2016

> On May 31, 2016, at 7:05 AM, Thomas Pfeiffer <t.pfeiffer.ux at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 30.05.2016 15:34, Robert Helling wrote:
>>
>> I realize that “just keep going” and keeping the status quo also has a lot of costs (not only financially) mainly on Dirk’s side. Off the top of my head are
>>
>> 1) Running the git server, accepting and pushing patches
>>
>> 2) Running (and keeping up to date) the build infrastructure
>>
>> 3) Running and maintaining the web site (and Facebook, google groups etc)
>>
>> 4) Running and maintaining the cloud server (including password resets etc)
>>
>> 5) Running other infrastructure like trac, mailing list etc etc
>>
>> Maybe it makes your life easier if you share some of those burdens (like sysadmin things) with others? Are there other ways to help you keep going?
>
> If that is indeed an issue, I know of a certain big Free Software community which does mostly Qt-based software, has all the infrastructure mentioned above and would surely be welcoming towards Subsurface ;)
> *justsayin*

:-)

Silly as it may sound, I like having my own infrastructure for git, mailing list, trac, etc. There are days I like it less than others, but overall it's one of those things where I use running the infrastructure as a way to continue to play with Linux servers and tools. Which I consider important for myself.

The build infrastructure - that's such complex complicated catastrophic chaos - that can't be migrated anywhere else. I thought about it, I tried, but there are so many fragile moving parts... building for Windows, the two different Linux build services, the AppImage, Android, iOS and MacOS. It's glorious in its insanity :-)

Robert is helping me with the Facebook page (traffic there is very low right now since we haven't released anything lately, but when we get lots of requests he helps answer them). Some folks answer on scubaboard, several of you monitor our user group (and it completely cracks me up that Linus is one of our top support people there - thanks for that, Linus).

I think where I would most appreciate help is really with the support questions on the various forums and with translations + the user manual.

I really appreciate all the responses that came in. This was a great reality check for me.

What I learned is

- Subsurface-mobile doesn't receive a lot of feedback because it mostly works; I just bumped the latest test version to be the publicly available version on Android and will try to find the time to get the first iOS release out pretty much as is (but with GPS disabled as that still doesn't work as intended on iOS -- this is something where I'd love some help...)
- Subsurface is considered more or less good enough and there seems to be a STRONG bias towards not trying to implement a new UI (sorry, Tomaz) but instead on fixing the random small issues that our users find, hopefully adding a way to manage dive sites and other than that put it in something like maintenance mode for a while

So that's what I'll try to do.

Thanks again for all the responses.