Preferences testing

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 16:43:23 PDT 2016

Tomaz (especially),

Thanks for all your hard work in untangling the preferences.  I've added my
testing below.

On 2 November 2016 at 07:49, Willem Ferguson <
willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:

> The list is now quite a bit shorter now since, last time round, Ferguson
> was not focusing. Apologies.

> Font name and size is saved but not reloaded upon starting Subsurface
> Config file shows pref=sans serif 9 pt as selected & saved.
> It reloads with Déjavu font size 10 pt.
> But the font that it chooses for preference settings upon restart is not
> the same every time, depending on what font was selected.
> If one tries with Sans serif 9 pt, save it and restart subsurface, it is
> repeatable on my machine (Déjavu 10 pt).

In my testing of font, it appears the selected font is loaded on restarting
Subsurface, but the font size is always reloaded as 10pt.

Also, when changing the font but not font size, the font is displayed
larger (12pt?) but the number displayed in the spinbox is unchanged.  On
restarting, the font size goes back to 10pt.

Units:
Settings are applied, and save and restore work.

> Language
> If I select Dutch, the font changes to Déjavu 10 pt. But the language
> selection works ok.
>
> Language, time and date settings work and are saved on restore.  As I said
above, on re-starting Subsurface, the font size returns to 10pt, but the
font is maintained.

I notice that the default trip names (i.e. date or month) in the dive list,
are not changed by the language or date format setting, but the display of
actual dive dates is changed.  I'm not sure this needs fixing as
retrospectively changing the trip name may not be a good thing, but thought
I'd point it out.

> Graph
> Bühlmann is selected initially, but VPM-B option Conservatism not greyed
> out.
> The moment when VPM-B is selected then Bühlmann options are greyed out and
> everything works ok. Just the initial setup needs tweaking.
>
> I changed every setting on this page, and all settings are applied and
restored on restarting Subsurface.  Only quirks I noticed were the initial
not-greying out of VPM-B/Buhlmann options, and that the tabstop order needs
to be updated.

I like the new layout.

> I suspect unused cylinder option not working. Does not affect display of
> additional unused cylinders in equipment panel.
>
> Unused cylinder option worked for me.  Dives from my Shearwater Petrel
used to be downloaded with all defined gasses, not just used/active gasses,
downloaded (this is now fixed).  I tested an old dive with multiple unused
cylinders, and this option affects whether or not they are displayed.

> Network
> I am sure System proxy requires proxy host name and port ID. Greyed out at
> the moment. Looks ok for HTTP & Socks
>
> Sorry, I didn't test Network or Georeference settings.

Planner preferences:
All preferences are applied, but some are not saved/restored on restarting
Subsurface.  The ones NOT restored are:
Deco mode (recreational, Buhlmann, VPM-B) - always opened as VPM-B
Reserve gas
Safety stop
GFlow/GFhigh/VPM-B conservatism: default to general (profile display)
preference setting - I don't mind this, but it is a change from previous
release
drop to first depth
last stop at 6m
min. switch duration