User manual queries

Salvador Cuñat salvador.cunat at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 07:31:45 PST 2016

Hi Willem.

:

> I am updating some of the text for the user manual. two questions:
>
> 1) What does _File -> Take cloud storage online_ do?
>
> No idea about this.

> 2) If I download the same dive from two different dive computers,
> Subsurface sees that and allows one to view the different dive
> representations by selecting the _Next DC_ or _Previous DC_ menu options.
> However, if I plan a dive with the same date, time and location as a logged
> dive, the plan and log are shown as separate entries on the dive list. What
> determines whether two representations of the same dive are considered as a
> single dive with different dive computers?
>
> In core/dive.c :
static int likely_same_dive(struct dive *a, struct dive *b)
{
        int match, fuzz = 20 * 60;

        /* don't merge manually added dives with anything */
        if (same_string(a->dc.model, "manually added dive") ||
            same_string(b->dc.model, "manually added dive"))
                return 0;

This function runs every time a dive is imported from a dc.  Planned dives
are marked "manually added" so they don't automatically merge with
dowloaded dives.

BTW I don't think you make a dive and then plan it, you're probably doing
the correct way (plan then dive).  For sure this doubt came to you while
working in the manual ;-)

Can I save the dive plan and the corresponding log without allowing the
> dive plan to count as an actual dive?

Yes, you can.
Change the planned one so it has the same day/time the real one has.  Then
merge the two dives. You will end with a single dive which has the plan in
the notes and 2 profiles, the real one and the planned one. Then edit as
usual.

This may be a good tip in the manual for tech divers who routinely plan
their dives, so they can easily compare their plans against their real
dives just by clicking the arrow keys left and right.

Regards.

Salva.