User manual queries

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sun Nov 6 07:49:13 PST 2016

On 06/11/2016 17:31, Salvador Cuñat wrote:
> Hi Willem.

> <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
> <mailto:willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za>>:
>
>     I am updating some of the text for the user manual. two questions:
>
>     1) What does _File -> Take cloud storage online_ do?
>
> No idea about this.
>
>     2) If I download the same dive from two different dive computers,
>     Subsurface sees that and allows one to view the different dive
>     representations by selecting the _Next DC_ or _Previous DC_ menu
>     options. However, if I plan a dive with the same date, time and
>     location as a logged dive, the plan and log are shown as separate
>     entries on the dive list. What determines whether two
>     representations of the same dive are considered as a single dive
>     with different dive computers?
>
> In core/dive.c :
> static int likely_same_dive(struct dive *a, struct dive *b)
> {
>         int match, fuzz = 20 * 60;
>
>         /* don't merge manually added dives with anything */
>         if (same_string(a->dc.model, "manually added dive") ||
>             same_string(b->dc.model, "manually added dive"))
>                 return 0;
>
> This function runs every time a dive is imported from a dc.  Planned
> dives are marked "manually added" so they don't automatically merge
> with dowloaded dives.
>
> BTW I don't think you make a dive and then plan it, you're probably
> doing the correct way (plan then dive). For sure this doubt came to
> you while working in the manual ;-)
>
>     Can I save the dive plan and the corresponding log without
>     allowing the dive plan to count as an actual dive?
>
> Yes, you can.
> Change the planned one so it has the same day/time the real one has.
> Then merge the two dives. You will end with a single dive which has
> the plan in the notes and 2 profiles, the real one and the planned
> one. Then edit as usual.
>
> This may be a good tip in the manual for tech divers who routinely
> plan their dives, so they can easily compare their plans against their
> real dives just by clicking the arrow keys left and right.
>
> Regards.
>
> Salva.

Hi Salva,

Thanks for your idea. Did this but context menu has no merge option.
Screenshot attached. With real dive and dive plan on dive list, I cannot
merge, even with same date & time. Do I misunderstand something? Looks
to me as if plan is not recognised as a valid dive to merge.
Kind regards,
willem